Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Watch It, Buddy (May)

4/26- The Savages I really liked this; great character study; wonderful acting -- makes you think~


4/25-  Charlie Wilson's War ****  It pains me to admit, as I loathe Julia Roberts, but this was a good movie.  Drama with chuckles and PSH is fantastic as always (but fair warning - the accents of Hanks and Roberts are horrible)
       Lars and the Real Girl ****1/2  A nearly perfect film (although bring your suspension of disbelief); deserved Best Picture nom and screenplay TOTALLY should have beaten Juno



4/24-  Death At A Funeral ****1/2  Hilarious British farce; I can see this as a stage show - I <3 Alan Tudyk



4/21-  Unfaithful *** typical Lynn
4/14-  There Will Be Blood *****  LOVED it; this is a love it or hate it film; acting doesn't get any better than DDL and he effortlessly carried this piece;  deserved Osacr over NCFOM



4/13-  Sweeney Todd ****  A fun watch; classic Burton
       Across the Universe ** Not for me.  Just a terrible story, a cheese-filled mess... but it was visually stunning - another I never bothered finishing



4/11-  Anne of the Thousand Days ****1/2 great telling of the Anne Boleyn saga (but please tell me why every depiction of Katharine of Aragon casts a dark-haired, dark-skinned actress?  She was pale and had red-gold hair.  The audience can handle it)



4/10-  Horton Hears A Who et al (animated) **** DVD has Horton Hatches An Egg, too - classic stuff  :)



4/9-  Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story ***1/2 I wanted more funny
      Great Kings of England: Henry VIII ****1/2 interesting doc



4/5-  The Madness of  Henry the VIII ****1/2 interesting doc
      The Devil and Daniel Johnston ****1/2 best doc on a person with mental illness suince Stevie



3/30- Atonement *** What a disappointment!  The "twist" was good,  I got into the Briony character through the years...  but who cares about the epic couple - there's no development there to be involved with the characters; if anything they came off like horny teens and little more.  I was expecting the Dr. Zhivago of our times.  Acting, costumes, cinematography - all fantastic... but who cares?  I guess I needed more backstory.



3/29- Dan in Real Life *** Lacks story, very slow, but an ok rainy sunday afternnon on cable film
      3:10 to Yuma ***  Not what I'd hoped but if you like Westerns I'm sure you'll enjoy



3/27- In the Valley of Elah ****  Good film - not sure about TLJ's Oscar nom but good stuff
      Why Did I Get Married? **1/2  slow & boring; stars are for Jill Scott - someone needs to get this girl in a good vehicle
      Into the Wild ****  Well-made storytelling with great acting (and a little serous Zach Galifianakis thrown in)



3/26- Becoming Jane **3/4  TOTAL let down - could have been SO much better
3/21- Upright Citizens Brigade: Asssscat *****  UCB - 'nough said
3/20- Smiley Face ***1/2  Nothing new here but decent escape
3/19- The Tudors Season 1 ****  Only reason to have Showtime - glad I caught up
3/16- Horton Hears A Who ****  Well-made kids' stuff



3/14- Romance & Cigarettes **  I get what they were trying to do... I just don't think it was done well.  definitely a script/direction problem as there is a bunch of wasted talent in this - 1 star for acting talent, 1 star for trying to go outside the box



3/12- No Country for  Old Men ****  Well acted and made but did NOT deserve that Oscar



3/6- The Comebacks **  Didn't even finish it; maybe I'll watch the rest when it's on Comedy central a thousand times in a year or 2

No comments:

Post a Comment